Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Camping with Dogs 101

This past weekend we enjoyed a fun-filled weekend of camping with our cousins Adam & Rebeccah at Natchez Trace State Park in Tennessee.
We had a blast hanging out with family, fishing, sitting around the fire, eating junk food, and enjoying nature!


My hubby has gone camping a number of times but this was my second time to go! We decided to bring the pups with us, so this would be their first time EVER! The week before I was browsing the internet looking for ideas of what to bring on camping trips, especially for dogs. I came up with a list of my own and added ideas I found from articles and wanted to share them with those that take their dogs camping or would one day like to!

Items:
  • Travel Food & Water Bowls
  • Food & Treats
  • Leash & Harness
  • Life Jacket 
  • Dog Booties 
  • Thunder Jacket 
  • Favorite Toy or Stuffed Animal
  • Pet Waste Baggies w/ Dispenser
  • Dog Cable w/ Carabiners 
  • Nail Clippers
Medical Needs:
  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Vaseline
  • Benadryl
  • Wrap
  • Ear Flusher
Items not pictured:
  • Blanket
  • Towels (when muddy)
I know there are even more items and medical needs that can be brought on a camping trip for your dogs but being our first time with the dogs we could only buy so much. We want to be able to put together a first aid kit for our dogs soon since our Aussie tends to be accident-prone, and this first-aid kit can be taken EVERYWHERE, not just when camping.

I must say many of the items we packed came in handy! It had just rained before we arrived so the towels were a must and the dog cable allowed us to hook the dog's leashes to the cable with carabiners when we were unpacking the car and setting up the tent. Also, Molson's favorite toy, MOOSE, saved the day when we realized Molson was way out of his comfort zone and just wanted to sleep in the tent the majority of the afternoon and night snuggled up with his favorite toy.





The dogs sleeping in the tent with us was definitely a new experience! Both the hubby and I did not sleep very well, but knowing that my hubs and the dogs were with me in the tent, I felt very safe! I would definitely suggest to anyone to at least try ONCE bringing your pups along. It makes camping a totally different experience!

Bark About It
KD

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading about your camping trip! Looks beautiful and sounds like it was a lot of fun. See you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my previous dog Bear, a half corgi/half healer and I used to day hike and then camp at campgrounds on the AT in Maryland and VA. She had a backpack(saddlebag type) of her own that contained a bag of treats, a foldup water cup and some food. Kids loved to look in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Josh and I have talked about getting our dogs backpacks for when we go on long hikes. My Aussie would probably have to carry our lab's items because our lab hates when we put things on his back haha thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  3. We have taken our labradane camping with us twice now. The first night is always the worst because she is up investigating every little sound. But it always gets better after that. Probably due to the extreme exhaustion, we all crash hard the next night. This year we will be bringing our little dorkie with us too. It will be interesting to see how she does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin for sharing about your camping adventure. We haven't gone back camping since this trip, but hope to do some more camping this spring. I'm not sure if we will take the dogs or not. They seemed exhausted when we got back the next day. Haha I hope your dorkie enjoys it!

      Delete
  4. Great article! I'm glad your dogs enjoyed your first camping adventure :) Pinning your article! good stuff!

    ReplyDelete